- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut Roma tomatoes in half, lengthwise, and lay out on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with garlic and black pepper, then drizzle lightly with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, combine vegetable broth, tomato sauce and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and garlic and boil for 10 minutes more.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in butter, cream and basil.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup well. Alternately, you may transfer the soup in batches to a blender and puree.
- Strain through a sieve. Serve hot